Sunday, April 1, 2012

Yummy "Milk-Making" Cookies


"Umm, I have to eat four cookies a day Travis.  GET OFF MY BACK!" That's right people, I am taking four "doses" of chocolatey goodness per day.  This has been a result of looking for a natural remedy to boost my breast milk supply. And.  It. Works.  BOOM.  Did that just blow your mind? Cause it totally blew mine when a couple of hours after eating two of these cookies my breasts were noticably more full.  You're welcome, Scarlett..... and Travis. 

Travis and I often refer to breast milk as liquid gold.  It feeds and nurishes your child, helps fight off infections, cures pink eye, helps you lose that baby weight, and if you let it sit, turns into diamonds! Okay, no diamonds, but still, that is some amazing stuff!  I have been in a state of paranoia ever since I had Scarlett that I would not be able to maintain enough milk to sustain her.  This comes from starving my poor precious little boy!  It still seriously pains me to think about.  Around 6 months old Brody had lost some weight and was looking entirely too skinny.  There are pictures that I still cannot look at without almost crying from that time period.  How was I suppose to know I was starving him?! He was still nursing and wasn't crying or freaking out.  In fact, he was very happy.  None the less, I was not able to keep my supply up in order to keep breast feeding him and it broke my heart.  I was determined to nurse him up to a year and felt like a failure.  I wanted to be very prepared this time around.  I looked up suppliments, teas, and foods that are said to boost your supply when needed.  I started taking Mothers Milk herbal suppliments and they were not helping.  Back to the drawing board.  That is when I stumbled upon this recipe.  Sure, they look good, but do they work?  Only one way to find out.  I went to my local organic/health food store to get the ground flax seed and the brewer's yeast.  I looked all over for the pastry flour but no luck.  So the following is my tweaked version on the original recipe. 
"Milk Making" Cookies

  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 4 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup cake flour
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips  (So I like more chocolate, SO WHAT?!)
  • 4 tbsp brewer's yeast
Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, mix the ground flax seed and water and let sit for 3-5 min.  Beat butter, oil, sugar, and brown sugar until no lumps occur.  Add eggs, mix well.  Add flax seed mix and vanilla, mix well.  In a seperate bowl sift together all flour, brewer's yeast, baking soda, and salt.  Add dry ingredients to butter mix.  Stir in oats one cup at a time and then chocolate chips.  Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet and bake 10-12 min. 
When I was done making these I exclaimed "What am I feeding the whole neighborhood?!"  This recipe makes over two dozen!  I am going to attempt to freeze half of them for later use.  They are delicious, a different texture than the normal cookie, but still delicious.  Hope you enjoy and that if you needed this for a struggling breast milk supply, I hope you are leaking from engorgement in a few hours!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear this works!!! AND I really enjoy your blogs :) I was coming to read Scarlett's birth story but saw you posted one today! Those cookies look delicious! Ps...we won't be able to make the journey to see you this month...APRIL FOOLS. HA! I got ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am gonna try the cookies too.... Have you tried taking Fenugreek to boost milk???

    ReplyDelete